Friday 30 July 2010

Bible Thought for Today: Acts 18

Today I almost got lost in the text, I thought I might write about the fact that Paul had a job to pay for his preaching so what do we want from our preachers today. I thought maybe I might write about Priscilla and Aquila who were both leaders in the church ha there is a woman leading. But then I got to the final portion and came across Apollos. 

Apollos was a good speaker, he was one of those people that are able to construct a point in such a way that all people understood what he was saying. You know he was a great orator able to capture the imagination but had the knowledge to back up his points. There was however a small problem Apollos did not study hard enough and wasn't up to speed on current theology so when Priscilla and Aquila saw this they approached him and schooled him on what he should be teaching. 

Apollos could have reacted in so many different ways. But instead of doing what so many people do when they get corrected which is get mad. Apollos just used it to become even better. As I sit and think about this story it makes me wonder how we react to constructive criticism? I can honestly say I am the last in the queue for taking it well but it is a necessary part of life. I have always wanted to be one of those people that take criticism with grace but too often it makes me defensive. So today my prayer is personal and simple God give me the grace of Apollos to accept constructive criticism that will come my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment