Monday 19 July 2010

Bible Thought for Today: Acts 16

A call from Macedonia. A number of years ago I was involved with an outreach programme at a church and the pastor wanted to inspire the people to action preached this sermon. I have to say it worked a treat as over three years later I still remember that this was preached. I will be honest and say I don't remember everything that was said but the general gist is there. 

So here I am reading about Paul's call to Macedonia and I wonder how many times have I ignored my own call. When God has instructed me to go somewhere do I go? Going at God's word is not easy sometimes it flies in the face of everything you want to do. 

Recently my family have had an awful lot of upheaval and at each stage I wanted to do the complete opposite of what I was being asked to do. In the end through gritted teeth I did as I was told. If I am really honest at the end of the process I harboured a lot of resentment that I had to do something that God had asked me too. I worked through the issues and now am ok with everything but it was a hard road to follow. 

Paul is quite the opposite when God calls him to go somewhere no matter his plans or what he wanted off he jumps and hops to it. I would drag my feet and ask why among other questions. But here is my lesson going as asked seemed to work for Paul, it was hassle and stress free. Maybe if I did that more often instead of arguing for ages with God the whole process would be more pain free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment