Friday 16 July 2010

The Book of Eli

I had the opportunity today to watch a film that I can honestly say passed me by when it was released. The Book of Eli was released at the beginning of the year but as I had just had the baby my usual film buff moves missed this one altogether. I will be honest and say that the apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic genres are not usually my cup of tea but I have definitely made an exception for this film. 

I really don't want to spoil it for you but I do want to share my thoughts. The only way I can do this is to share some of the questions and thoughts it left me with. 

Firstly why do all post-apocalyptic movies depict the people as completely devoid of a moral compass. It really is quite scary and in this movie it is actually quite gross what the people do. But it always seems to me that if you strip the people back they have two choices live in cooperation or kill everyone around, I am concerned that we imply that people will always plump for the latter of those statements. 

A world without God is a scary place. In the film the people blame God for everything that happened and burned everything that reminded them of God. This lead to a world that I cannot even begin to describe how bleak it is. If you watch for yourself it really does raise the question what is a world without God? 

The bible is full of power and in the hands of the wrong man it can be manipulated for evil. In the hands of a misguided man it's real purpose can be forgotten. The importance of the bible cannot be underestimated and the film highlights it in a sensitive way. 

Is the film a preachy film that rams religion down your throat? No it is not and maybe that's what made me love it. The viewer can make up their own mind and come to their own conclusion. The film prompts thought and discussion and for that reason I think it's a good film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment