Thursday 29 July 2010

Bible Thought for Today: Acts 17

For the past few days I have been trying to write this bible thought unsuccessfully. Everyday I read a little more of the text and then get distracted with life and no work gets done. So far the baby has been an excuse, watching a movie, doing some counselling and all sorts of other things but I can avoid it no longer. Sometimes when you read the bible it seems that all they do is be a good witness for God. In the case of the disciples it often seems like all they do is preach. Let me tell you this chapter is no exception.

In Acts 17 Paul and Silas visit Thessalonica, Berea, Athens and Areopagus. In each of these places they head straight for a temple or meeting place and start preaching. Each of these places has something to teach us about sharing the message but what struck me was what would life be like if we did that. So here is my average day and let's see how it might change.

Wake up and meet neighbours on stairs, show genuine interest in them and remind them that God loves them. Go out to the shops and speak to the sales assistant show genuine interest and tell them God loves them. Meet up with family make sure they remember God loves them. Oh I forgot public transport, speak to the person next to me and tell them God loves them. Wow that really is a different day to my normal one.

I love God and I think I share the love of God as much as possible but do I spell it out to people? No often I am reluctant to mention the specifics because I don't want them to get offended or upset or whatever. However is that all that God requires? Yesterday my husband and I were discussing what we would like to pass onto our son and one of things we would like to pass on is the respect for human life. For him to be a generous person to notice those who are not in a good situation and to give what he can to help and more than that we would like him to treat all people with respect. But as i sit and think about it I guess as a Christian there is more to being a good person than just being nice for us it is the desire to see everyone we meet in heaven.

The challenge for me now is how to incorporate that into my life. In a way I have it a little easier and harder because as a pastor it is my job so I have a natural source of conversation. The other side of that is that people naturally switch off because they expect it and they don't want to hear it because they think well it's her job so she has to do. So each of us face the same challenge how do we share the Good News with all that we meet so that if it were possible everyone would be saved? Easy answer is we remember that mission and never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment