Tuesday 3 August 2010

Switzerland

Recently I have had a number of conversations that have made me glad that I am feeling like Switzerland. My husband informs me that the most accurate description of Switzerland is that they are neutral because they may have an opinion but they don't act on it making them neutral. I think that feels like a good description of me. As I am doing an independent ministry that God asked me to do it feels like I am the Switzerland of the church world.

It's been really nice to feel of use to people. I get calls, emails or messages asking questions about how they manage their faith with the church and because I have no agenda I can answer more freely without prejudice. I do wonder however what it is about church that drives people so crazy that they need Switzerland.

What is a church? Well in essence it is a collection of people who believe the same thing or at least try to. Contrary to popular belief it isn't the building and that is what causes the major problem. People are unpredictable and more often than not we are self centred therefore our behaviour can impact on others negatively. We couldn't argue with a building but you can control the building I guess the major difference is you can do all those things with people except control.

Churches are like any other group of people full of differences arguments and love. The difference should be that among the church should be a sense of grace, mercy, and forgiveness that comes from a relationship with God. Unfortunately from the problems I am hearing this is often not the case. Don't get me wrong I think that it is a difficult path to walk with us trying to uphold Gods standards and being a forgiving community but as difficult as it is we must try.

I might enjoy being Switzerland but shouldn't each church be a Switzerland from the world. Shouldn't people be able to come in and find a place of acceptance regardless of who they are. I dunno maybe it's easy for me to say that because I work online and I can work with anyone I guess but I live my life in the real world too and as such I still want to go to church and find an accepting community not a judgemental one.

No comments:

Post a Comment