Saturday 25 September 2010

Safety

The survivors guide to being homeless: part 5

Have you ever done that thing just as you were getting into bed at night where you had this awful feeling that something was left open. Then you ran around quickly checking everything only to realise you checked it already the house is locked up like fort knocks. Well when you are homeless it is a new experience.

At first you are completely paranoid about safety because after all you don't know anyone and there is only a flimsy door that separates you and the whole house. Then you don't want to offend anyone by making a song and dance about locking up because you don't want them to feel no trusted. Finally you just conclude that you gotta do what you gotta do.

My husband and I probably differ on this quite a lot but as a woman I feel my safety is always a consideration. Not only do inbox want my stuff stolen because believe it or not I actually like the stuff I have. But I also don't want anything to happen to me so taking risks with my safety just doesn't seem sensible. So when I am staying alone in the bedsit I lock myself in the room oh yes I do. There I said it I am proud to say that despite the whole argument about fire safety I am more afraid of waking up and finding a stranger in the room so in lock the door with the keys behind me when I go to sleep at night.

Now this is how bad it is and I will admit it's bad especially as I watch every crime show known to mankind. The secrets out I am obsessed with all the CSI and Criminal Minds and Jessica Fletcher's I can get. But watching this stuff unfortunately makes me a little paranoid. So last night I went to bed with my usual routine of locking the door. Then proceeded to imaging how someone could knock the keys out of the lock and suck them under the door to get in. I know it's crazy but I am sure it was in an episode of CSI or something. I then remembered that was crazy thoughts and promptly went to sleep. I am obviously just fine so there was nothing to worry about at all.

The morale of this story, safety is important but don't go so far that you cannot sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment